Friday, September 30, 2016

Changes

I know it's been a while since I wrote, and I'm sorry for that but so much was going on that life felt a bit like a whirlwind! I am going to keep it as brief as possible, but I do want to update everyone on the latest changes in StreetLight Mission.
Most any one who knows me knows that I am a person who doesn't mind changes, some would even say I love changes.  But there is a limit to that, and I have found it, or maybe I should say God pushed me to that limit.  Back in March, it was announced to the staff at the Mission that our focus was changing.  It wasn't a surprise, because all of the us on staff could see that it was time and it was necessary, but we just weren't sure what the direction would look like.
I had written in an earlier post about the carts of brand new coats and boots for children that my friends had bought for the Mission, and on the tail end of that trip to New Hampshire, Paul sat me down and told me that we as a Mission were going to be focusing on at risk youth and families.  No longer are we going to be providing a monthly food pantry, job services, and IDs for adults. All the services that we had been providing were available at multiple other places in the city.  Instead of seeing people's lives changed, which has always been the main goal of the Mission, we had become enablers.
The board of StreetLight, spent much time in prayer and conversation about how exactly the future should look.  They also looked at where exactly the fruit of our labor was being produced, and that was in youth and families.  We have a monthly girl's night that is well attended, VBS that overflows our location, and back in January we took 3 huge vehicles of young ladies to a conference on being "the bride of Christ."
With these things in mind, the leaders decided to focus and pour our resources into those places where we were making a difference, where we were seeing God bringing fruit, as well as expand and start some new things specifically for the young people and their families. I am so excited with the changes, and I firmly believe that the leaders are seeking God and allowing Him to lead the next steps. As with all major changes, there is much learning that is happening. Also much prayer is needed so that the plans of the enemy will fail, and as all of us at the Mission, but especially the leaders seek to honor God with every step, that we will be open to whatever it is that He calls us to do.

One exciting thing that I am glad to be a part of, God has allowed me through my job to partner with StreetLight and provide some school supplies, donated from the college students, for our youth. Pencils, notebooks, paper, and more. It is so exciting to be used in this way to pour into our kids. I have become more involved and even attended a fall retreat with our kids (more to come in my next blog). I can't wait to see how God is going to grow these wonderful young people that I have come to know!  

As always reach out to me if you need anything or want more information crucibleandcrown@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment